Going Blindly to Beitou (cont'd)


Update as of 11:24 pm.

I got my friggin' pair of glasses!

I tried looking for an optical shop where I'm at the city center today. The only ones listed on the net within the area were un-findable. I was dealing with too many elements on my solo tour of the city, that I just gave up.

The day ended. I went home. I was tired, sticky as glue and dead hungry. I was gonna get something to eat when, walking along our street - just eight steps from my place - THERE WAS AN OPTICAL SHOP.

Like, seriously? #facepalm

I walked in, even if the last thing I want is to interact with anyone in my filthy state.

Me: Hi. Uhm, do you make glasses (with matching gesture)?
Shop owner: (blank expression)
M: Do you make glasses (with more animated gestures)?
S: (more blank expression) No.
M: (blank expression on the verge of crying, like Wednesday Adam's face when she finally agreed to play Pocahontas in Camp Chippewa).

I don't know how I managed to make him understand, but the next thing I knew I was doing an eye test. He wrote on a piece of paper R- 1.5, L - 1.5. (No idea what it means; my grade is 20/200). More moments of confusion until he finally told me to get behind his desk and type on the computer

(Google Translate)
M: how long will it take
S: 30 min
M: how much
M: cheapest
S: 1500 yuan
M: frame
M: how much
S: (points to frame and lens and nods)
M: can I choose
S: (leads me to a section) 1500

I chose. He gestured, 30. I said okay. I went out the shop, turned 'round the block and got some grilled meat and veggies from a food stall, and milk tea for dinner. I was back in 20 mins.

The glasses were done. He said, 1300 with a smile.

Whut?!

I paid. :)

I fitted the pair. He even adjusted the frames to fit better round my ears. Xie xie ni, I said. Xie xie, he said.

(Google Translate)
M: you are a lifesaver

Enough for me to survive the next seven days. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

 

Sorted Clutter

#MillionPeopleMarch (1) 2010 (3) 2013 goals (3) ako ang simula (9) Bacolod (3) bargain books (1) bayanihan (1) beach bumming (5) Binondo (1) birthdays (1) blessings (1) blogging (2) Bohol (3) book worm (5) Brandy Alexander (1) bring yourself (1) Calaguas (1) Caleruega (1) cancer (1) career (2) Chinese food (1) chocoholic (1) Christmas (3) Chuck Palahniuk (1) churches (2) Cloud 9 (1) Coast Thru Life (1) coffee (2) college (4) conversations (1) Cubao eX (1) Daddy (3) Dave Matthews Band (1) de-stress (5) debriefing moments (2) drama (2) Dumaguete (1) eat pray love (2) education (2) family (5) favorite restaurants (2) food for the soul (4) foodie (6) Fred's (1) Hanson (1) Happy Computer (2) Ilog Maria (1) Invisible Monsters (1) island hopping (1) it's more fun in the Philippines (8) Janry (1) La Union (2) life lessons (6) look back (1) Maginhawa food strip (2) Manila (2) Marikina (2) mature stuff (1) Men's Health Philippines (2) misadventures (2) modern day heroes (1) money talks (2) music junkie (4) nomo things (3) organic (1) parties (2) Philippines (2) politics (2) public service (2) quarter life (5) quotes (3) R and R (5) Raga Raga Corp (3) road trip (2) roanni (8) samaskom (1) seacrumbs (2) Siargao (7) social relevance (2) social work (2) soul searching (1) stoked (3) summer (3) summer 2012 (2) summer 2013 (3) surf dudes (2) surfing (4) Tagaytay (3) the one (5) the promise of health (1) Tuesday Group (3) UP (1) Van Gogh is Bipolar (2) when in... (2) work (10) Yoki's Treasure (1)

Posts You Love

I'm like Tinkerbell, I need applause to live.

My photo
Communications junkie, book+music lover, and aspiring world traveller.

Visitors