What's in your shopping bag?


Do you ever ask that question?

When you buy stuff, what do you usually consider? Price? Quality? Trend? Are you the comfort-over-fashion, or the tiis-ganda type of shopper? Do you ever think about where and how your purchases are made?

I don't. Not all the time.

But lately, I'm being introduced to the notion of buying stuff I need/want while making a difference.

And while I'm a fan of Human Nature (and Theo & Philo chocolates hehe), and occasionally buy local products for a cause (from Organique, Good Food Community, Ilog Maria to name a few) I never knew that there are already so many brands that are proudly Filipino, and many even support local communities all over the country.

Shout out to my officemates, Kath and Denise, who are advocates of buying local and supporting social-enterprises (and who rock donning local brands). Thank you, girls!

Me and my teammates had a chance to visit several shops that carry these brands, and I can't believe how THERE ARE SO MUCH STUFF! From arts and crafts materials to toys, shoes and bags to accessories, office essentials, travel must-haves, food and beer, stuff you don't need but you just-cannot-not-have. And it goes without saying, I picked up an item or two while we're at it. Okay, I picked up a lot of items while we're at it.

Here's a peek at my stash. How I wish it were Christmas already so I have an excuse to hoard. :))

Travel pouch from The Happy Project, Php180. | UP Town Center.
Because I basically bring my entire house in my bag, and being organized is not one of my talents. Hehe. I really fell in love with the store. They've got tons of designs for pouches, cases, coin purses, and tote bags. Visit their store and get instant good vibes from their super friendly staff. 

The Happy Project is a social enterprise that aims to spread happiness and positivity through its products. More than spreading happiness, our team works hand in hand with the differently abled members of our community to provide equal employment opportunities.

Recycled leather cord ties from Punch Craft, Php50.
Hand-painted hair ties from Designer's Crib, Php40. | The Common Room. 
Did I mention being organized is not one of my talents? Hence, the cord ties. Come on, we all need those! Got the hair ties for my officemate's little girls. Aren't they cute?


Collapsable katya storage bin from Kasa Ko, Php150. | The Common Room. 
According to the tag, this can hold up to 100 times more than its weight, ideal for crafts materials. Because I travel a lot, thought I could easily bring this as a bedside bin. I wanted to get those collapsable leather things (the ones that has buttons and turns into bowl-like squares) but they're a bit off my budget.

Eau de Cologne from Simoy ng Haraya, Php350. | The Common Room. 
A locally-made cologne? This I have to try! They actually sell perfumes, but I went for the cologne because I love the name of the scent. And yes, I love the Kilig scent itself. <3 (Kilig is a Filipino term for giddiness usually associated for someone or something you love or infatuated with).

Simoy ng Haraya is a unique line of scents conceptualized and blended by Lala de Leon. A product that is proudly Filipino, it foregrounds the local and the native, conjuring a rustic space of tranquility amid the frenzy of life in the city.

Sandals from Habi Footwear, Php600. | Roots Katipunan. 
My favorite find! Perfect casual wear sandals, plus they're light and super comfy. These sandals are made from upcycled scrap materials woven by communities in Quezon City, and assembled in Marikina. Growing up in Marikina, I saw the decline of the businesses of local sapateros (shoemakers), some of them were even kumpares of my dad, with the influx of cheap products from China. So I'm really psyched to learn of brands who support the Marikina shoe industry.

Habi promotes responsible fashion, Pinoy pride and social involvement through 100% Filipino-made, environment-friendly footwear. Since 2011, its wide range of comfortable espadrilles and sandals competes in the fashion retail industry under Sosyal Revolution, Inc., managed by three social entrepreneurs, Janine Chiong, Paola Savillo, and Bernadee Uy.

Dark chocolate from Hiraya, Php180. | Roots Katipunan. 
I'd buy this anytime of the day. 'Nuf said.
We are a Filipino bean-to-bar chocolate company that is an advocate of sustainable and socially-conscious practices. We make single-origin chocolate bars and chocolate products from cacao beans sourced around the Philippines.

Ain't that a good way to spend money? :p
I'm really excited in exploring this new way of buying; of consciously seeking locally-made products. Yes, some may tend to be a bit more pricey than imported counterparts, but that's because they're not made in sweatshops! Kidding. That's because they're usually made by medium- and small-scale enterprises who don't have the capability for mass production to lower the cost. But, hey if quality is all the same, why not choose products that are proudly-Pinoy made, right?

How about you, what's your favorite local brand or social enterprise?:)


PS, these might be useful:
kasa (n) - house; ko (pn) - my
habi (v) - to weave
simoy (n) - gentle or soft wind
haraya or hiraya (n) - illusion, vision, idea, imagination

PPS, so are these:
The Common Room is located at 325 F dela Rosa, Loyola Height 3, Quezon City, 1108 Metro Manila. Tel no: 0977 786 6694. They're open daily at 10am-10pm. 

Roots Katipunan is located at Unit 106, FBR Arcade (where Yellowcab is, across Ateneo), 317 Katipunan Ave., Brgy. Loyola Heights Quezon City 1108. Tel no: 0917 801 3907. They;re open daily at 9am-6pm.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

 

Sorted Clutter

#MillionPeopleMarch (1) 2010 (3) 2013 goals (3) ako ang simula (9) Bacolod (3) bargain books (1) bayanihan (1) beach bumming (5) Binondo (1) birthdays (1) blessings (1) blogging (2) Bohol (3) book worm (5) Brandy Alexander (1) bring yourself (1) Calaguas (1) Caleruega (1) cancer (1) career (2) Chinese food (1) chocoholic (1) Christmas (3) Chuck Palahniuk (1) churches (2) Cloud 9 (1) Coast Thru Life (1) coffee (2) college (4) conversations (1) Cubao eX (1) Daddy (3) Dave Matthews Band (1) de-stress (5) debriefing moments (2) drama (2) Dumaguete (1) eat pray love (2) education (2) family (5) favorite restaurants (2) food for the soul (4) foodie (6) Fred's (1) Hanson (1) Happy Computer (2) Ilog Maria (1) Invisible Monsters (1) island hopping (1) it's more fun in the Philippines (8) Janry (1) La Union (2) life lessons (6) look back (1) Maginhawa food strip (2) Manila (2) Marikina (2) mature stuff (1) Men's Health Philippines (2) misadventures (2) modern day heroes (1) money talks (2) music junkie (4) nomo things (3) organic (1) parties (2) Philippines (2) politics (2) public service (2) quarter life (5) quotes (3) R and R (5) Raga Raga Corp (3) road trip (2) roanni (8) samaskom (1) seacrumbs (2) Siargao (7) social relevance (2) social work (2) soul searching (1) stoked (3) summer (3) summer 2012 (2) summer 2013 (3) surf dudes (2) surfing (4) Tagaytay (3) the one (5) the promise of health (1) Tuesday Group (3) UP (1) Van Gogh is Bipolar (2) when in... (2) work (10) Yoki's Treasure (1)

Posts You Love

I'm like Tinkerbell, I need applause to live.

My photo
Communications junkie, book+music lover, and aspiring world traveller.

Visitors