Thanks, More Please.:)

This was originally my tweet for the topic #2011inthreewords during the last weeks of December.  But I also thought it's the perfect title for my yearend post, because nothing could speak better for the year that was than this phrase.

I got the phrase from the title of a movie I came across several weeks ago,
"Happythankyoumoreplease" (2010), written and directed by Josh Radnor. Photo from  entertainmentwallpaper.com.
I wasn't able to watch the entire film. But I was lucky enough to catch the part where one of the characters, Annie, explains a mantra she learned from an Indian guru - "thank you, more please". This simple phrase teaches two important lessons in life, 1) to always be thankful for all the blessings you receive and 2) to ask for more.

And that's the best way to bid 2011 goodbye, and say hello to 2012.


So here's a quick recap of the things that deserve a "thank you" in my 2011.

1. Travels. Like everyone my age who live off their paychecks and get monthly love notes from utility companies, I'm lucky enough to get to travel once in a while. And every destination that I went to this year was special. Because of the wonderful scenery, the unforgettable experience and the amazing people I met. 

First kiss of summer. San Juan, La Union. May 2011. Photo  by Koryn Iledan.
First trip of the year was a surfing weekend in La Union with my officemates Mau and Ate Koryn. It was great to be back in LU and ride the waves again. Not only did we get our much needed R & R, we get to stay at Philippine surfing poster boy Luke Landrigan's resort only.

Upper-left, clockwise: Me and Roper arriving at Busuanga Airport; view of  islands from Kayangan Lake in Coron Island; me and Roper in Banol Beach; Roper feeding giraffes in Calauit Safari. June 2011.
My Coron, Palawan trip was really special 'cause it was my first trip alone with my sister, Roper. It was my birthday-cum-graduation gift for her and even if it caused me a few weeks of extreme tipid at work, it was all worth it. There's nothing more fun than exploring Coron paradise with my younger sis.

Top-bottom: new found Bacolod friends at Art District; with  Bonk and Empi at Art  District; with my thesis partner Tat at Kuppa. Bacolod City, July 2011.
Spent a weekend in Bacolod last July, hometown of my beloved thesis partner Tat. Unlike in my Coron trip where I was in my ultimate wide-eyed tourist mode, my entire Bacolod escapade was hanging out, food tripping and drinking 'til the wee hours (hehe). It was one of the best weekends ever. Sadya guid ng experience sa Bacolod.


A taste of island life. Calaguas Island, August 2011. Photo by Brian Feliciano.
Two words: destination, paradise. Calaguas Island in Camarines Norte is by far the best beach I have been to. Powder fine sand, crystal clear water. Gaaaah.  Went there on a trip arranged by my good friend, Brian. We fell in love with the place so much that we got ourselves second helpings. This time, on a trip arranged by yours truly and Mau and Brian, which brings us to ...


2. Outfitting Business. Because we're plain lakwatseros like that, we decided to share our love for travelling by putting up an outfitting business! This is for those who want to travel but don't have the time and energy to stress over all the planning and booking. We had our dry-run trip last November with 15 people. Brought them to Calaguas for ultimate beach bumming and to Bagasbas Beach in Camarines Norte to ride the waves.What could be a better getaway than that?

Paradise. Calaguas Island, Camarines Norte. November 2011. Photo by Mau Maquiddang.
Yes, our trip packages come with free nom-nom. Calaguas Island. November 2011. Photo by Mau Maquiddang.
Sunset. Calaguas Island. November 2011. Photo by Mau Maquiddang.
Surfing big waves at Bagasbas with Elaine and Mau. Bagasbas Beach. November 2011.
We've been pretty busy with our day jobs this end of the year, but we'll be cooking things up with the business anytime now. So all you outdoor geeks and budget travellers, we'll be arranging your weekend getaways soon!:)


3. Work. Work had been pretty unpredictable this year. I started out getting promoted as Multi-Media Producer in my late night news program last January. Although it wasn't the promotion that I expected (I was vying for story editor), I took it as a challenge. After a few months, I realized my heart is really for producing. I missed going out on shoots, doing pre-prods, meeting new people. Eventually, I started getting bored with my monotonous job.:/

But come late February I was blessed to be part of an incredible team piloting a new public service program. What would've aired last May then June then August, eventually aired last October hahaha.

It was a new challenge for me. From 2-minuter news segments, I started producing entire episodes! All 38 minutes of pure brain fry. Haha. It was stress and pressure beyond what I can imagine. But I made it through. And the single driving force there: love what you do.:) 

Dream bigger. Do better. Bangkulasi Episode shoot. Navotas City. September 2011. Photo by Koryn Iledan.

In three months we were able to launch a livelihood program, marry off 44 couples in a mass wedding, and build three school buildings in my episodes. Needless to say, by the end of our first season, I together with my wonderful team,  had given birth to three different barangays.

Left to right: Brgy. Bangkulasi, Navotas City; Brgy. Barangka Drive, Mandaluyong City; Brgy. Bilad, Camiling, Tarlac. Photo from screen caps of episodes.
At the end of the day, nothing feels better than being exhausted but fullfilled because you know you've made a difference in an individual, family and community.:)


4. Family time. Speaking of families, this year was also a year of great bonding moments with my family. Mommy's 61st birthday wins the best family bash award this year 'cause the entire fam was complete. Not mention all the relatives and friends who came, videoke and unlimited booze. Haha!

Big family love during Mommy's 61st. 
Of course what made it extra special was that my older sister Yeye, was here from Arziona for three weeks. I miss her big time.

Me with Roper and Yeye.

5. And lastly, finding love. Okay, okay. I haven't found it yet.haha. But this year had been a colorful year of several attempts. Though things didn't work out 'cause he didn't like me enough, or I didn't like him enough; 'cause of proxemics, or marital status (HAHAHA:p), everything was good while it lasted. :) And with all these failed attempts, hopefully- and for the love of me- the next one would really last.
Uh-huh, I'll wait for the next one.


See? 2011 wasn't perfect, but I couldn't ask for anything better. I was blessed beyond what I deserved and what I asked for. And for all these, I give a big THANKS to the Big Guy up there.:)

And now that 2012 is here,  I only have one thing to ask for: MORE PLEASE.

More travels. To explore new destinations, meet new people, visit more wonders of the Philippines that I can be proud of.

More trips and customers for our business. More time to plan. More people we can share the love for travelling with.

More opportunities at work. More challenges but more chances to shine and prove myself. More amazing minds to work with. More learning experience. More money, money, money (haha!).

More time with my family. Hopefully I'd get to see Yeye again this year. More birthdays for Mommy (she's still rockin at 61). More quality time and bonding moments.

More attempts at love. Or diretchuhin na natin, love. Ganyan. As the movie tagline goes, "go get yourself loved." May I finally found him this year. :)


To everyone who had been part of my 2011, who made me laugh, made me cry, got me drunk, drove me out of my wits, THANK YOU!

Here's to more blessings in another awesome year ahead! :)

Roanni


*Special thanks to Ate Koryn, Mau and Brian for the great pics I used in this post. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

 

Sorted Clutter

#MillionPeopleMarch (1) 2010 (3) 2013 goals (3) ako ang simula (9) Bacolod (3) bargain books (1) bayanihan (1) beach bumming (5) Binondo (1) birthdays (1) blessings (1) blogging (2) Bohol (3) book worm (5) Brandy Alexander (1) bring yourself (1) Calaguas (1) Caleruega (1) cancer (1) career (2) Chinese food (1) chocoholic (1) Christmas (3) Chuck Palahniuk (1) churches (2) Cloud 9 (1) Coast Thru Life (1) coffee (2) college (4) conversations (1) Cubao eX (1) Daddy (3) Dave Matthews Band (1) de-stress (5) debriefing moments (2) drama (2) Dumaguete (1) eat pray love (2) education (2) family (5) favorite restaurants (2) food for the soul (4) foodie (6) Fred's (1) Hanson (1) Happy Computer (2) Ilog Maria (1) Invisible Monsters (1) island hopping (1) it's more fun in the Philippines (8) Janry (1) La Union (2) life lessons (6) look back (1) Maginhawa food strip (2) Manila (2) Marikina (2) mature stuff (1) Men's Health Philippines (2) misadventures (2) modern day heroes (1) money talks (2) music junkie (4) nomo things (3) organic (1) parties (2) Philippines (2) politics (2) public service (2) quarter life (5) quotes (3) R and R (5) Raga Raga Corp (3) road trip (2) roanni (8) samaskom (1) seacrumbs (2) Siargao (7) social relevance (2) social work (2) soul searching (1) stoked (3) summer (3) summer 2012 (2) summer 2013 (3) surf dudes (2) surfing (4) Tagaytay (3) the one (5) the promise of health (1) Tuesday Group (3) UP (1) Van Gogh is Bipolar (2) when in... (2) work (10) Yoki's Treasure (1)

Posts You Love

I'm like Tinkerbell, I need applause to live.

My photo
Communications junkie, book+music lover, and aspiring world traveller.

Visitors