Never too Old for Christmas

To be perfectly honest, I didn't really feel like writing about Christmas. But I find it's a crime that one of the most important, if not the most important, holiday of the year passes by without me jotting (or yeah, typing) a few lines about it.

I would want to say that this is the best Christmas ever, but it's not. I've had better Christmases. 

This year is our third Christmas without Daddy and that makes a world of difference. No one's giving 30-minute long prayers over Noche Buena, no one's filling the house (and the neighbors' houses too haha) with loud Christmas music, no one's making the world's best barbecue. The family isn't complete this year, my other brother Kuya Dong is in Oman so his entire family stayed in Laguna, while my other sister Ate Sheng and brother-in-law JJ are in Arizona. 

I guess other reasons come with age. Instead of receiving gifts, you end up spending a lot for them. You get more pamangkins, you have to get Mommy more expensive gifts. This year also, I get to split Noche Buena expenses with my other sister. Ker-chiiing. There goes my Christmas bonus. And call me shallow but I was also kinda bummed that we didn't do Monito-Monita this year, haha. That's like one my favorite parts of Christmas eve.

But despite the irreplaceable chunks in the family yuletide celebration, the Christmas rush and Christmas bankruptcy (if there's such a thing), there are still so much to be thankful this year. Thankful that we have food on the table, that we have food and gifts to share to relatives, family friends and neighbors. Thankful that we're luckier than those in the south that got hit by Typhoon Sendong days before Christmas. Thankful that our family in Manila is complete. Thankful that the brats still believe in Santa, its always fun to fool them (haha). Thankful that I got a mug as Christmas gift from my big bro (hahaha).

So I realized that Christmas will always be changing every year. I might have another sibling getting married/moving out (or I may be getting married/moving out, a-ha!:p). We might not have that much money for Noche Buena next year, I might have additional pamangkins and inaanaks next year. We might or might not do Monita-Monita next year! Christmas will always be changing but one thing won't change is the love and laughter we share as we celebrate Jesus' birthday.


Yep, I'll never get too old for Christmas. None of us will. :)
So from me, to all you out there who had their worse, better, worst or best Christmas this year: belated Merry, Merry Christmas and have a blessed New Year!:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

 

Sorted Clutter

#MillionPeopleMarch (1) 2010 (3) 2013 goals (3) ako ang simula (9) Bacolod (3) bargain books (1) bayanihan (1) beach bumming (5) Binondo (1) birthdays (1) blessings (1) blogging (2) Bohol (3) book worm (5) Brandy Alexander (1) bring yourself (1) Calaguas (1) Caleruega (1) cancer (1) career (2) Chinese food (1) chocoholic (1) Christmas (3) Chuck Palahniuk (1) churches (2) Cloud 9 (1) Coast Thru Life (1) coffee (2) college (4) conversations (1) Cubao eX (1) Daddy (3) Dave Matthews Band (1) de-stress (5) debriefing moments (2) drama (2) Dumaguete (1) eat pray love (2) education (2) family (5) favorite restaurants (2) food for the soul (4) foodie (6) Fred's (1) Hanson (1) Happy Computer (2) Ilog Maria (1) Invisible Monsters (1) island hopping (1) it's more fun in the Philippines (8) Janry (1) La Union (2) life lessons (6) look back (1) Maginhawa food strip (2) Manila (2) Marikina (2) mature stuff (1) Men's Health Philippines (2) misadventures (2) modern day heroes (1) money talks (2) music junkie (4) nomo things (3) organic (1) parties (2) Philippines (2) politics (2) public service (2) quarter life (5) quotes (3) R and R (5) Raga Raga Corp (3) road trip (2) roanni (8) samaskom (1) seacrumbs (2) Siargao (7) social relevance (2) social work (2) soul searching (1) stoked (3) summer (3) summer 2012 (2) summer 2013 (3) surf dudes (2) surfing (4) Tagaytay (3) the one (5) the promise of health (1) Tuesday Group (3) UP (1) Van Gogh is Bipolar (2) when in... (2) work (10) Yoki's Treasure (1)

Posts You Love

I'm like Tinkerbell, I need applause to live.

My photo
Communications junkie, book+music lover, and aspiring world traveller.

Visitors