12 Things I Learned in 2012

And just like that another year has ended. Seems only yesterday I was doing my 2011 yearend post. Haha.

I remember asking for so many things when the year started. All giddy and positive me. Better career breaks, love that lasts, more travels, more time with the family etc. Some things I got, some I didn't. Some I got in a very be-careful-what-you-wish-for-'cause-you-just-might-get-it fashion.

As much as I want to say 2012 was a great year- "a roller coaster ride of a year" or what have you- I can't bring myself to.

I guess the only thing I could really make our of 2012 without wrinkling my nose is that it's a learning experience. Cliche, yes, but that's the only one I got. And since the Mayans and Chris Brown got it all wrong about this year anyway, everything that happened just might prove useful in the years to come after all.

Here are the 12 things I learned in 2012:

1. I learned to really love what I do. 
There is no better fulfillment than using your talent, time, energy and passion for something that can actually spark change in people's lives and how they view life. And I'm always thankful to God for giving me that fulfillment.

Passion.


2. I learned to set up computer units.
Thanks to the Happy Computer Project. I learned to stick cords and plugs to CPU's and monitors and AVR's to make kids happy.



3. I learned to be financially mature. 
Okay, I made that term up. What I'm really trying to say is "congratulate me I got past the impulsive buying and eating/drinking spree phase already". Not totally past (hehe). But enough to make me save up and buy a Mac, open (and lay my hands off) my passbook account, and get a variable insurance for me self thankyouverymuch.



4. I learned to enjoy freebies. 
I'm one lucky gal to have such generous, good-looking well-connected friends (see? I threw in a 'good-looking' bit :p). This year I got to enjoy some of my favorite performances because of them. Shout out to Ehm, Tin, Dennis, and Kuya Richie for scoring me some luuurve. :)

Relief.



5. I learned to use FCP, how to drive and how to cook paella. 
I know, those are three things already. I put them under the 'new skills' item. Learned a handful this year, and still learning.:) I'm trying to level up and get a hand on After Effects. I'm still a sucky driver that I can't go around the village without almost making my pamangkins throw up in the back seat (sorry Nikka and Cholo:p), so still need a lot of practice there. And I'm decided to unleash my culinary prowess more each day. Woot!

Comfort.



6. I learned to make mistakes.
Those stupid mistakes. Those the-hell-was-I-thinking mistakes. Mistakes that make you cringe. Make you hate yourself for not knowing any better. Mistakes that make you wish when you followed your heart, you brought your brains with you. Even just half a brain. And a little self-respect. 
Mistakes that you really, really learn from.  



7. I learned to trust my friends.
When your friends say "binu-bullshit ka", well... binu-bullshit ka. Haha. :)

Conversations.


8. I learned to take risks.
I learned to step out of my comfort zone and enter the great void (tada-daduh!).
Choices.


9. I learned to face the consequences situations brought by those risks. 
I came face to face with the big "what now?". I guess to a certain extent, I still am. I know I can only wear my Care Bears spirit for so long before self-doubt starts to creep in. I was ready to declare my 26th birthday my most depressing one so far- I had no boyfriend, no full time job and no concrete plan for the future in hand. All I have is this stubborn small voice in me that keeps saying "you'll get there. Suck it up."

But you know what, sometimes, that small voice is all it takes to keep you going.  *upscoring: "I'm not perfect" by Charice feat. Chessa* Haha!



10. I learned how lucky we 90's kids are when it comes to music.
Random. I realized that no other generation had the luxury of experiencing both MTV and Youtube, to gather like flies waiting for your favorite videos to air and explore the wonders of downloading and burning CD's (mga nagpapa-burn sa kaklase dati represent!), to use walkman and discman and an iPod.



11. I learned that quarter-life crisis is real. Everyone our age goes thru it. It's not something this "me"-centric generation of ours made up to buy some time while we figure ourselves out. 
"If, as we're constantly told, the world is our oyster, it's definitely a dodgy one. Unlike mid-life crisis, quarter life crisis is not widely recognized. There are no 'experts' to help us." -Damian Bar, from Get It Together: A Guide to Surviving your Quarter-Life Crisis. 


12. And I learned to move on. 

Not every lesson is solicited, sometimes it’s shoved right in our faces without our consent.  We’re unarmed, unprepared for what life would throw at us. But there are always two ways to go about- we can either sulk, rant, be miserable, hate the whole world about it. Or do the smarter thing and learn from it.

There are so many things I’m letting go and putting behind me this year. People, phases, old habits (smoking not included hehe), some dreams. Some I'm letting go with a heavy heart, some I'm shaking off like a rash. 

Sabi nga ni Ramon Bautista sa kanyang librong "Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo", na binigay sakin ni Jaymen nung birthday ko siguro dahil crush niya ko matagal na;

Happiness is self-achievable. 90% ng problema mo ay imbento lang... Bigyan mo ng limit ang page-emo mo, mga 3 weeks siguro. Marami pang kailangang gawin at selfish ka kung puro ka awa sa sarili mo. Kasama ang sakit at kalungkutan sa emotional range na bigay ni Lord sayo para mas maramdaman mo ang experience ng life.

So this new year, I'm moving on and achieving happiness (I always have, na-sidetrack lang talaga ako this year. Haha). Bringing with me all the lessons I learned this year and a promise of a fresh challenging start.

Decision.:)

To everyone who also "learned a lot" this year, congrats for making it through. SWS survey says 92% of Filipinos are facing 2013 with positivity. So should I, so should you. :)

Have a blessed, awesome, learning-filled new year everyone!:)

Roanni




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

 

Sorted Clutter

#MillionPeopleMarch (1) 2010 (3) 2013 goals (3) ako ang simula (9) Bacolod (3) bargain books (1) bayanihan (1) beach bumming (5) Binondo (1) birthdays (1) blessings (1) blogging (2) Bohol (3) book worm (5) Brandy Alexander (1) bring yourself (1) Calaguas (1) Caleruega (1) cancer (1) career (2) Chinese food (1) chocoholic (1) Christmas (3) Chuck Palahniuk (1) churches (2) Cloud 9 (1) Coast Thru Life (1) coffee (2) college (4) conversations (1) Cubao eX (1) Daddy (3) Dave Matthews Band (1) de-stress (5) debriefing moments (2) drama (2) Dumaguete (1) eat pray love (2) education (2) family (5) favorite restaurants (2) food for the soul (4) foodie (6) Fred's (1) Hanson (1) Happy Computer (2) Ilog Maria (1) Invisible Monsters (1) island hopping (1) it's more fun in the Philippines (8) Janry (1) La Union (2) life lessons (6) look back (1) Maginhawa food strip (2) Manila (2) Marikina (2) mature stuff (1) Men's Health Philippines (2) misadventures (2) modern day heroes (1) money talks (2) music junkie (4) nomo things (3) organic (1) parties (2) Philippines (2) politics (2) public service (2) quarter life (5) quotes (3) R and R (5) Raga Raga Corp (3) road trip (2) roanni (8) samaskom (1) seacrumbs (2) Siargao (7) social relevance (2) social work (2) soul searching (1) stoked (3) summer (3) summer 2012 (2) summer 2013 (3) surf dudes (2) surfing (4) Tagaytay (3) the one (5) the promise of health (1) Tuesday Group (3) UP (1) Van Gogh is Bipolar (2) when in... (2) work (10) Yoki's Treasure (1)

Posts You Love

I'm like Tinkerbell, I need applause to live.

My photo
Communications junkie, book+music lover, and aspiring world traveller.

Visitors